Jump To A Topic:
How do I become a member of GVRRID?
Simply click on the "My Account" link on the top right of the home page, then select Register and follow the instructions to become a new member. You can also click JOIN at the top of any of our pages.
What are the categories of membership and what do they mean?
- Bylaws Definition: A Certified member shall be any member actively practicing in the field of interpretation of American Sign Language and English and/or transliteration of English who holds valid certification accepted by the RID.
- Plain English Definition: Practicing interpreters with an RID certification.
- Bylaws Definition: An Associate member shall be any member actively practicing in the field of interpretation of American Sign Language and English and/or transliteration of English who does not hold a current certification from RID, Inc and/or NAD.
- Plain English Definition: Practicing interpreters without an RID or NAD certification.
- Bylaws Definition: A Student member shall be any member currently enrolled in a course of study in the field of interpretation of American Sign Language and English and/or transliteration of English.
- Plain English Definition: Non-certified individuals currently in college for interpreting / transliterating.
- Bylaws Definition: A Supporting member shall be any member with an interest in supporting the purposes and activities of the corporation and who is not actively practicing in the field of interpretation of American Sign Language and English and/or transliteration of English.
- Plain English Definition: Individuals who are not practicing interpreters.
- Bylaws Definition: An organization or business with an interest in supporting the purposes and activities of the corporation.
- Plain English Definition: An organization or business wishing to support GVRRID.
How do I change my membership category?
When it is time to renew, simply choose the new membership category option on the renewal form. There is no need to change your membership category before renewal as all members have the same benefits.
How do I pay for a membership without using Paypal?
Please fill out our membership form and mail a check to the PO Box address listed on the form.
Does GVRRID offer a Senior Citizen Discount?
Yes, members 55 years old and above get a $5 discount off their yearly membership.
When does my membership expire?
GVRRID does rolling memberships, meaning that everyone's membership expires on a different date. Log in and click on My Account, then Membership, to view the date your membership expires.
If I am a member of GVRRID, do I also have to be a member of RID? If I am a member of RID, do I also have to be a member of GVRRID?
To be a member of GVRRID, you do not have to be a member of Registry of Interpreters of the Deaf (RID). However, if you wish to have voting privileges you must be member of both GVRRID and RID. GVRRID is an affiliated chapter of RID and represents the Western New York region. We do welcome anyone from out of state to join us.
Do I have to be a certified interpreter to become a member of GVRRID?
No, we have different categories of membership. Student membership is for those who are currently enrolled in an interpreting program. Associate membership for those who are currently working interpreters (full-time, part-time, occasional) who not hold RID certification. Certified membership is for those who currently hold an RID certification.
What are the benefits of student or supporting GVRRID membership?
Student and Supporting memberships provide the same benefits as Certified and Associate memberships. However, Student membership allows students who enroll in an interpreting program to represent their voice through GVRRID. Supporting membership is for people that are retired or not working interpreters and want to support the philosophy of GVRRID. If you wish to vote at GVRRID General meetings, you must also be member of RID.
How do I change my personal information or password?
Go to My Account / Settings to change your name and password.
How do I change my email address?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have us change your email address in the system.
How do I add my RID number to my membership?
Go to My Account / Settings to add your RID number.
How do I reset my password?
Go to My Account / Login and click Forgot Password.
Who do I contact to give feedback / suggestions?
Please email us!
Where can I find past meeting minutes?
Please go to our Meeting Minutes page to find minutes from past board meetings and general meetings.
Where do I find fellow GVRRID members?
What are CEUs?
CEUs are Continuing Education Units. To learn more, please visit the RID CEU page.
What is the workshop cancellation policy?
Please see our workshop policy page for the cancellation policy.
How late can I be for a workshop but still get CEUs?
Please see our workshop policy page for the workshop tardiness policy.
How do I get my CEUs for a GVR workshop? They didn't have the paper to fill out with my RID number.
Go to www.gvrrid.org/workshop-evaluation and select the workshop you attended. Answer the optional workshop evaluation questions and then provide us with your information to get CEUs and a Certificate of Attendance if desired. See the workshop policy page for more details.
How soon after the workshop must submit my information for CEUs?
You must fill out the form at www.gvrrid.org/workshop-evaluation wiithin 48 hours of the end of the workshop to get CEUs. After that, you can contact the CMP coordinator for a Certificate of Attendance. See the workshop policy page for more details.
How can I submit an idea for a workshop?
Contact the PD Chair to submit ideas to the Professional Development committee.
How can I get CEUs for a workshop that isn't offering them?
Visit the PINRA page to learn about this process.
Can GVRRID help me offer CEUs for a workshop I'm giving?
Yes! See the Sponsor Initiated Activity page for more details.
Can GVRRID help me get CEUs for a college course?
Yes! See the Academic Coursework page for more details.
How much does GVRRID charge to process CEUs for my workshop / event / PINRA / Academic Coursework?
Please see the chart of fees for all our CEU processing prices.
Does GVRRID offer Independent Study CEUs?
Not at this time.
Who do I contact about other CEU related questions?
Please email our CMP coordinator with all your CEU related questions.
What is GVRRID's discrimination policy?
Genesee Valley Region Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (GVRRID) does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, selection of volunteers and vendors and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members and volunteers.
What are the policies related to workshop attendance, cancellation, tardiness and earning CEUs?
Please see our workshop policy page for all workshop related policies.